Tom A. Howley
Tom has twenty years of noteworthy experience working at some of the largest and most prominent law firms in the country, including his most recent position of partner at the international firm of Jones Day from 2009 until 2019. This work history provides Tom with an excellent foundation in corporate, contract, restructuring and bankruptcy law that has served many clients since starting his own firm in October of 2019. Tom is also uniquely qualified to serve in fiduciary roles such as trustee and independent board member. Tom is admitted to practice law by the State Bar of Texas and New York.
Tom has been recognized by industry leading sources for his prowess and accomplishments during his career including Chambers USA, Chambers & Partners leading practitioners for corporate bankruptcy & restructuring in Texas. In this survey, clients explained to Chambers USA that Tom “anticipates issues before they arise” and is “one of the hardest working people I have met.” Tom has served as the president of the Bankruptcy Law Section of the State Bar of Texas. The section is the leading organization in Texas for professionals involved in workouts, restructurings and bankruptcy cases. Tom is also a past president of the Houston chapter of the Turnaround Management Association. Tom is currently a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Texas Bar Foundation and the Turnaround Management Association.
Tom has represented companies and individuals seeking guidance on general corporate and contract law in a wide variety of industries and situations.
Tom has advised management teams, private equity shops, officers and directors with regard to corporate governance matters and liability management strategies.
Tom has been a trusted advisor and advocate for private equity firms with regard to troubled investments, distressed portfolio companies and the acquisition of distressed assets.
Tom has represented all of the various major stakeholders in corporate workouts, restructurings, bankruptcy cases, insolvency related litigation and debt financings for twenty-five years. Tom also has substantial experience in distressed M&A transactions, 363 sales, loan agreements and loan modifications on behalf of banks, hedge funds and borrowers.
Tom was recently appointed by the U.S. Trustee program to serve as a Subchapter V trustee in small business reorganizations in the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas.
Representative Deal List
- Represented Rex Energy in its successful chapter 11 sale in Pittsburgh;
- Represented Shoreline Energy in its successful chapter 11 sale in Houston;
- Represented ERG Resources in its efficient chapter 11 reorganization in Dallas;
- Represented Radio Shack in its high-profile chapter 11 reorganization in Delaware;
- Represented MSD Automotive in its successful chapter 11 sale in Delaware;
- Represented Total E&P USA in its capacity as creditor and counterparty in numerous workouts of other companies;
- Represented the Daymen Group (a camera accessory firm) in an out of court workout of its international operations;
- Represented numerous oil field service companies in out of court workouts;
- Represented numerous vendors in the oil patch with regard to enforcing lien rights and exercising contractual remedies to collect unpaid invoices;
- Represented EDF (Electricite De France) in its capacity as creditor and hedge provider in the GMX Resources case in Oklahoma;
- Represented a group of unsecured noteholders in the reorganization of Energy Partners Ltd. in chapter 11 in Houston whereby the client group took control of the company;
- Represented the senior secured lenders in the successful chapter 11 reorganization of Baseline Oil & Gas in Houston whereby the client took control of the company;
- Represented Swift Energy in its successful chapter 11 reorganization in Delaware;
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the reorganization of the Tony Roma’s restaurant chain;
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the CFS chapter 11 case in Oklahoma;
- Represented the term loan lenders in the successful fifteen-day prepackaged chapter 11 of Southcross Energy in Houston;
- Represented Franklin Advisors in the successful chapter 11 reorganization of Goodrich Petroleum in Houston;
- Represented numerous companies in a wide variety of industries regarding finance, corporate and contract law matters;
- Represented a private equity firm in a 363 acquisition of a manufacturing company out of chapter 11 in Louisiana;
- Represented numerous boards of directors with regard to corporate governance matters;
- Represented numerous private equity firms with regard to distressed investments and troubled portfolio companies;
- Represented numerous companies with regard to risks associated with an insolvent customer or contract counterparty;
- Represented Tubos Reunidos in the successful acquisition of Rotary Drilling Tools pursuant to a spirited chapter 11 363 auction in Houston;
- Represented Sanchez Resources in the successful acquisition of Tri-Dimension Resources pursuant to a competitive chapter 11 363 auction in Dallas;
- Represented numerous bidders and investors participating in 363 sales processes in chapter 11 cases around the country;
- Represented Prime Succession funeral home operator in a successful chapter 11 sale in Delaware;
- Represented numerous hedge funds & alternative lenders in providing DIP financing to distressed borrowers;
- Represented banks and administrative agents in workouts and restructurings around the country;
- Represented numerous parties in distressed mergers and acquisitions;
- Represented numerous borrowers in negotiations with banks about loan modification, debt relief, forbearance agreements and waivers; and
- Represented numerous boards of directors, management teams and companies with regard to liability management and comprehensive solutions to financial hurdles.
- Howley Law PLLC, Founder, Owner and Member 2019 to current
- Jones Day, Partner 2009 – 2019
- Haynes and Boone, LLP, Associate & Partner 2001 – 2009
- Verner, Liipfert, Bernhard, McPherson & Hand, Associate 1998 – 2001
- Morgan & Pottinger PSC, Associate 1995 – 1998
Bar & Court Admissions
- New York
- Southern District of Texas, U.S. District Court
- Northern District of Texas, U.S. District Court
- Eastern District of Texas, U.S. District Court
- Western District of Texas, U.S. District Court
- Southern District of New York, U.S. District Court
University of Louisville Brandeis School of Law (1995); Indiana University (1992)
Honors and Distinctions
- Subchapter V Trustee
- Best Lawyers in America (2016-2023)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the field of bankruptcy & restructuring (2010-2023)
- Texas Super Lawyers (2013-2023)
- Texas Bar Foundation member
- Past – President of the Bankruptcy Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Past – President of the Houston chapter of the Turnaround Management Association